Tuesday 13 December 2011

My latest Addiction

My latest Addiction.......

My latest addiction is coconut water...... straight from the coconut. Young coconuts are harvested between 6 and 9 months and at this age the contain about 2 cups of coconut water. The flesh is translucent, almost jelly like and is also delicious.
The coconut palm naturally filters water through its roots and trunk and ends up as purified water inside the coconut. It is filled with electrolytes, calcium, potassium, magnesium and only has around 17 calories per 100gms. It is great for re-hydration, I particularly crave one after a long surf session!!
The natural isotonic beverage almost has the same level of electrolyte balance as we have in our blood. It is one of the purest, most nutritious, wholesome waters that nature has provided us with.
Unless the coconut has been damaged, it is likely to be sterile. There have been cases in some developing countries where medical saline was not available, coconut water has been used as an intravenous hydration fluid.
Further to all this coconut water will help aid digestion, remove toxins from the body and also has amazing anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti microbial properties that help cure diseases.
In my local area they can be purchased for around $3 a coconut, you can get them a little cheaper than this if you buy them by the box.
I am currently in New Zealand and was surprised and stoked to find them at my local supermarket for around $4........ thank goodness I can still feed my addiction while I am away!!









1 comment:

  1. arghhhhh i went a day without one!!!! Noooooo!!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete