Sunday 27 November 2011

Seed Saving Tips

SAVING SEEDS:

Seed saving is an important part of my gardening. I usually let one plant out of every crop go to seed and then dry and save the seeds to use for the next seasons growing. Eventually I will not have to buy seedlings at all. This will save me me vast amounts of money. Share seeds with your friends, and swap them for ones that you do not have!!! Seeds are really easy to dry out and can be kept in air tight zip lock bags for at least a year.
Seeds must be dry before storing or they will go mouldy.

SUNFLOWERS:
It is easy to know when to harvest your sunflower seeds. Most of the petals will have fallen off and the head will be tilted towards the ground slightly.
Cut them from the plant and dry somewhere that is warm and dry with good ventilation, this prevents mould. I usually leave the sunflowers in their heads until they are dried. It is easier to remove them from the seed head when they dry. When they are dry simply run your thumbs over the heads and the seeds will pop right out.....i do this in a plastic bag, they tend to pop out everywhere otherwise.
Replant the seeds as you desire!!

My sunflower seeds drying 
Some already dried and bagged


WATCH THIS SPACE FOR MORE SEED DRYING TIPS

No comments:

Post a Comment